Having spent most of July 4th on my knees in front of the Westerbeke 27 in my boat. I discovered a few things. First I bought a DIESEL compression test kit and did another compression test myself. Contrary to Murphy's marine laws it actually contained a fitting that for the glowplug threads of my engine. The readings after two tests were as follows:
190 psi, 290 psi, 400 psi, 375, psi
These readings are in contrast to the mechanics readings of a few weeks ago 170, 170, 180,182. One of us is wrong. I kind of feel mine are more accurate especially since I did mine twice. As recommended by people and books I put a little oil into the cylinder reading 190 and did another test and the reading rose to 250 psi.
Saturday, July 07, 2007
Sunday, July 01, 2007
Well the injector solution did not work. So it was time to call in a pro. I never realized how long it would take to get a diesel mechanic to come take a look at the problem. I finally got someone to come by and after going through all the things I did with no more luck. It was time for a compression test the readings were all in the 170-180 psi range about half of what they should be. Not good. but, curious that all four cylinders should be so low. I have one more thing to try before I give up on this engine. That is to remove the head and see if it is a blown head gasket. Since I have come this far and have an engine that no longer starts I have nothing to lose. So I think I will be spending July 4th down below with the service and parts manual, tools and some cold beers learning more about this engine. There is a possible clue that someone mentioned to me when I first discovered the oil leak in the first photo here (which can be enlarged) that the oil seems to be leaking at the point between the engine block and the head. I had originally thought that the oil got sprayed up in that part of the engine by the a broken oil sensor but, now maybe it was actually leaking from the gasket area. Stand by I'm going in
Posted by Capt. Mike at 1:35 PM