Friday, May 07, 2010

GIVING CHARTER BOAT CAPTAINS A BAD NAME

Now that I've got my Merchant Mariner's credential also known as a "Captain's License" I've been thinking about starting up a charter business. I've talked to enough people to know that one will never get rich in that line of work but, you might hopefully break even with the boat's expenses. Then there is the psychic reward of opening up people to the experience of being on the water under sail. Which often gives me "pinch me" moments as I cruise. Then along comes Captain Julian Harvey who in 1961 murdered not only his wife for the insurance money (I guess no one ever told him the charter business is not really that lucrative) but, also his paying passengers. But, one lucky 11 year old girl named Tere Jo Duperrault survived and spent four days floating on a raft in the ocean. She has now written a book  about her ordeal called  ALONE: Orphaned on the Ocean. It will be interesting to see if this book puts a crimp into the already tight charter boat business. Unfortunately, I'm also about to head off to the Bahamas as passenger on a 45 foot Catamaran charter. After hearing about this tale you know I'll be sleeping with one eye open.

No comments: