Tuesday, March 06, 2012

BATTERY TO DO LIST OF AN ELECTRIC SAILOR

Because of the charging issue with one of my propulsion batteries it is the first time in four years that I have had to actually squeeze my six foot two inch frame down below the cockpit to work there. I've had an  item on my to do list concerning the batteries for those four years. That was to replace the electric tape covered terminals with something more robust and protective. When I first I looked around I could not find exactly what I was looking for to protect these terminals. But, eventually I found something I could modify to work. It is the  Rotating Cable Cap from Blue Sea Systems:



They can help insulate the battery terminals better than just wrapping them up with electrical tape.
 
In order to use the Blue Sea Caps I had to modify the base part using a box cutter or razor blade to notch out an opening to accommodate the battery terminals as shown below:



Below  is the end result. It does not have to be perfect but, just big enough to allow the battery tab fit.


The photo below shows the base part of the Blue Seas cap installed over the battery terminal. The upper cap attaches to the base part to help protect the terminal and rotates in the direction of how the wire is run to the terminal. But, both can be removed easily too for cleaning and servicing.



Since I'm down below connecting and disconnecting the battery cables it seems like a good time to finish up the last item concerning the battery bank.

No comments: