Saturday, October 24, 2015

MISTAKES WILL BE MADE

Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without



I try to live by the above proverb on both land and sea. I will try to not throw something out until it has no useful function for me. Even then I try an recycle it if I can. A long time ago I bought a boat bag from L.L. Bean. I think it must have been over twenty years ago. It's been around and is beaten up and worn but, still was useful for carrying things. That is until the handles broke recently. The carrying part of the bag was still very usable.  So when I bought my Sailrite Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 Sewing Machine last year one of the first projects was to
repair this decades old boat bag. Even when making the repair I used part of a worn out web belt to take the place of the tattered missing handles. Here's what it looked like after that repair:

I was proud that my first sewing repair put that old boat bag back into service. But, there was a problem. I misplaced the handles when I sewed them on. I soon found out that the handles going across the bag made it difficult to place things in the bag as the handles sometimes got in the way. I lived with it for awhile until I finally got around to make it right by reattaching the handles to the side where they belong:


Much better functionality. It sometimes is amazing how one can miss the obvious when making a repair. Requiring a rethinking and rework of one's efforts. Hopefully the second attempt will not be too expensive or time consuming. In the case of the boat bag it was quick and easy.   

No comments: