Wednesday, October 28, 2015

TIME AND TIDE

"Time and tide wait for no man" 
Geoffrey Chaucer


 Well it's the end of the sailing season for BIANKA and I here in the northeast U.S. The boat is at the dock to have the mast unstepped and to be put on land for the winter.  I need to take a number of heavy bulky items off the boat and having the boat at the dock makes it easier than when she is on the jack stands. While  Chaucer says time and tide wait for no man I do just the opposite and wait for the right tide.  Removing the heavy items such as the 540 feet of sail stowed in a large sail bag, the Sailrite sewing machine or the Honda 2000 generator is best done at high tide.  Then the gangway that leads to land and the car is at it's most horizontal position. A prudent mariner waits for time and tide to accomplish such moves. Might as well make it as easy as possible if you can.

3 comments:

bill said...

I always enjoy your reports from
your sailing. Too bad this was
such a short sailing season for
you.

Capt. Mike said...

Thanks Bill. But, since I did not have any freelance work this summer I felt I had a lot more time on board. So it turned out to be a pretty good season for me.

Unknown said...

Nice to read this article will be very helpful in the future, share more info with us. Good job! www.dealerselectric.com
Nice to read this article will be very helpful in the future, share more info with us. Good job! www.dealerselectric.com