Monday, January 17, 2022

BONAIRE OYSTERS


 With Bianka safely on land for the Winter. I have now implemented my Winter retirement plan. Which is to get to some place warm at least for a week every month during the season.  January finds me on the Dutch Island of Bonaire  Where I spotted 3 sailing boats coming into the harbor early in the morning while having my coffee. It turns out these 3 boats are Oysters of various sizes and they are participating in the Oyster World Rally 2022. Their names are Nakita,  Black Lamb and Intrepid. I entertained the idea of asking them if they needed an extra crew member for the next leg of the cruise. Then I watched the crew of one of the boats spend much of the afternoon washing, cleaning, scrubbing and polishing the boat and settled back enjoying my afternoon drink on the balcony across from their dock.



INTREPID



NIKITA


BLACK LAMB











2 comments:

Val Vechnyak said...

I helped deliver an Oyster 47 from Bermuda couple of years ago. It was a major disappointment. The boat not well designed and poorly built in my view. It leaked everywhere it could and it was incredibly hard to move around the boat underway. It was also pounding on the waves so hard it felt like we were hitting a solid rock.

Capt. Mike said...

Val: I've heard that said about the Oyster's too. Never saw one up close but, they looked pretty nice from across the harbor entrance. Though a lot of boat to maintain from the looks of it.