I went looking for another meter that could measure the current being drawn from or charging the battery bank. But, the catch was I did not want to have to put in another shunt for measuring current in the battery circuit like the XBM battery monitor already used. I wanted to keep any extra connections to a minimum. To do that I needed to use a hall effect type of current meter. It determines a current value by measuring the magnetic flux around a piece of wire with current flowing through it. I found exactly what I needed with a company called Devicecraft. They had a hall effect current meter with a transducer that would fit the 2 AWG wires that connect to BIANKA's 48 volt electric propulsion battery bank.
The hook up is farely simple.
The display required a supply voltage and three wires that go to the hall effect transducer. I needed to run the transducer wires about eight feet and used some Twisted Servo Hookup Wire, normally used in things like model cars and planes:
Like I did for some of the wires for the battery voltage meters part of this project I enclosed the transducer wires in a Techflex General Purpose 1/4-inch Braided Cable Sleeve. This was to keep the wires together and also protect them from chafing.
The 100 amp Hall effect sensor will fit over the 2 AWG cable that is used in the my electric propulsion system but, would not fit over the existing lug. So I needed cut the existing battery cable. I used a ratcheting wire cutter like a Klein ratcheting cable cutter which cuts heavy duty battery cable easily:
Once I had established the proper orientation for the sensor I put it on the battery cable and crimped a new lug on the end and reconnected it to the battery. I then ran the sensor wires up through the cockpit wire conduit I made and into the helm area using one of the Fiberglass Wire Pull Rods I carry on board:
It was then just a matter of hooking up the sensor and power wires to the current display and the instrumentation project was finished:
I mounted it the box temporarily at the helm and used it on my fall cruise up the Hudson River and back. I still need to make a permanent platform for the box at the helm location but, that is a project for another day.