Friday, July 03, 2009

July 4th: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Today is July 4th and I have yet to go on a sail with BIANKA this season. Between the horrible weather of this extremely rainy spring and the repair of the windlass and replacement on the Edson steering system and some unexpected work commitments there has been no time to head out and raise some sail. Today July 4th will be another day when I won't be raising sail either. It has become somewhat of a tradition with me not to leave the mooring on this holiday. The waterways will be filled with other boaters some of them very drunk and inexperienced. I find it safer, more enjoyable and somewhat more amusing to stay safely tied to the mooring and listen to the VHF calls. Though I do dress ship in my own way for the day and also contemplate the meaning of the holiday and the sacrifices made that allow me to even be on the boat. Including perhaps a re-read the Declaration of Independence. Toward the evening I will enjoy a glass of wine or spot of rum and toast to the patriots long ago who allowed this country to be created. Then I will cap off the evening with a 360 degree show of fireworks put on by the various municipalities and individuals around the harbor. That's what the Fourth of July is like on board BIANKA. In the end it really does come down to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

No comments: