Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why I don't sail here in winter

First saw this a few days ago on Craft a Craft. It's a video on Kontain.com. It's a time lapse of the recovery of U.S. Air Flight 1549 which crash landed in the Hudson River in New York City a little over a year ago. What I found interesting is that because of the ice you can really see the current and tidal change of the Hudson River which is a force the prudent sailor uses to his advantage. It also shows the power of ice and currents as it jostles and moves the airliner as it hits the tail. It also dramatically shows why I don't have a desire to sail these waters in winter.

Posted on Kontain.com - [Flight 1549] from David Martin on Vimeo.

2 comments:

bowsprite said...

you are getting homesick down there in Belize, eh?

Capt. Mike said...

Bowsprite:

Unfortuntely, I'm back in New York. It's 20 degrees F outside and watching that ice move is just making me colder and making spring seem further away than it really is.