Wednesday, February 03, 2010

SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNEAD ON A BOAT

It's been too cold and snowy to spend too much time working on the boat this winter. So I'm spending a lot of time at home in the kitchen cooking and perfecting recipes that I can use on board when cruising next season on BIANKA. I must admit I am rather spoiled using the bread maker and having fresh bread at home everyday. Unfortuntely, the breadmaker uses too much power and takes too long to be useful on board my boat. But, I came across this book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francis which shows how to make fresh bread dough in about five minutes using a technique that looks like it would be perfect to use on a boat especially since it makes enough for four one pound loafs. That's enough for a whole week of cruising. I especially like that you don't have to knead the bread and basically make it in a plastic container. Sounds like it's made for a lazy sailor who likes to eat well and healthy if possible. Take a look at the technique in this video and see if you agree:

3 comments:

Bill said...

Love it!

I've shared this with a few people, what a great idea.

Jeff Orlando said...

Hey this looks good. Oops, no oven on the boat. I wonder if it could be adapted to BBQ or Dutch oven?
~Jeff 30-438 Summer Place

Capt. Mike said...

Jeff:

I don't see why not. You also might try it on a stove top in a pressure cooker. It works for Lin & Larry Pardey.