Saturday, March 06, 2010

TOOLS OF AN ELECTRIC SAILOR: GERBER 400 MULTI-TOOL


I've been thinking about a tool I use a lot both on board and off my boat. Especially since I just lost it yesterday. It is the Gerber MP400 Multi-Tool. I like it better than most of the other multi-tools I have seen. For example I like how the blades and tools lock and unlock with ease. It's made of stainless steel and I've never had to clean rust off of it. I like that it comes with a Fisker scissors which comes in handy for cutting everything from paper to fishing line. The pliers are of a needle nose type that are helpful getting into tight spaces or useful when soldering electrical connections. But, what really sold me on the tool is that the knife blade has a serrated edge which is helpful for cutting all kinds of line on board faster and easier than the straight edge found on many other multi tools. I'm ordering my replacement Gerber MP400 today because it works.

2 comments:

Gerber Multitool 400 Compact Sport Lover said...

One of the best tools for the price. And with a little care, they seem to last forever. I don't know of many people who have broken their tools, that weren't doing something *extremely* stupid with them. Under normal use, breakage is rare.

Capt, Mike said...

I probably use my Gerber 400 more than any other tool I have on board.