Wednesday, January 05, 2011

A SAILOR'S KINDLE

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology


My wonderful girlfriend gave me a KINDLE as a Christmas present. Although I guess this was partly done to also prevent me from downloading any more books on to the one she already owned. She really has no interest in being able to access a nautical dictionary on it. I've already mentioned how space on many sailboats is a precious resource and having to decide just which books to keep on board is sometimes a painful decision. Electronic book readers like the Kindle can help solve that dilemma. E-readers like the KINDLE can hold a thousands books (Amazon says up to 3,500). My girlfriend also has an Apple IPAD that she sometimes reads on too. But, in our experience the KINDLE seems better suited for reading on a boat. For one thing it is easier to read in sun than the back lit I Pad. The Kindle does not get washed out easily by strong sunlight making it perfect for afternoon reading in the cockpit or the beach. The KINDLE is also much lighter than the IPAD and less awkward to hold in bed. The battery charge on the KINDLE also lasts much longer than on an I PAD.  So if you are trying to decide between and I PAD or KINDLE for reading on board. I give the edge to the KINDLE.

1 comment:

Lotte said...

I couldn't agree more!
My parents gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I'm literally thrilled!!!
It solves more than one problem for sailors - not only does it store a whole lot more books than we'd otherwise be able to fit into the boat, it also makes it possible to buy books instantly with the 3G-version. AND it is possible for others to buy us books as presents even when we're off sailing.