Saturday, June 22, 2013

FIRSTS OF SUMMER


Yesterday was the first day of summer. It sometimes seemed so far away and then suddenly it's here. There are a lot of firsts as summer and the sailing season begins. A week ago I took my first swim off the boat. It was bracing at first as my body recovered from the shock and the tips of my fingers tingled from the cold. But, a few minutes later my body acclimated to it and I managed to stay in for a half hour. Last Saturday was also the first day this year that I saw an Osprey. A sure sign of summer here on the Isle of Long. Unlike other sea birds the Osprey announces it's presence with a distinctive chiping call. The Osprey was also carrying a twig no doubt for building a nest nearby.  Other firsts await like the first sail of the season. But, that will have to wait until I get the sail on board but, like summer it will happen.

No comments: