Sunday, June 22, 2014

CLEANING: Countertop Rust Stains

Finishing up some spring cleaning in the galley. I discovered I had left my cast iron frying pan on the sliding formica countertop over the winter and had some rust embedded into the surface. I first tried my staple cleaner which is some  Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner. It had limited results. I then tried some CLR Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover soaked onto a paper towel that I left over the stain overnight:

It worked better but, there was still a good sized rust stain on the counter:

I then bought out the  FSR Fiberglass Stain Remover  :

and dabbed it over the stain using a disposable paint brush:

After letting it soak in a bit and using a piece of 3M Scouring pad the rust was completely removed from the countertop:
I wiped down the counter with a damp paper towel and finished the job.
Always good to have several cleaners on board to try and I learned a lesson not to let the cast iron skillet sit on the countertop for any length of time.

No comments: