Wednesday, October 06, 2010

DESTINATION: MANHATTAN: THE ISLAND CITY


After my City Island visit the next island I arrived at was Manhattan. There are many ways to visit New York. Planes, trains or cars. But, my favorite way is to arrive by boat.  This is how the Europeans first arrived and how those already here moved about too.  I tied BIANKA up at the 79th Street Boat Basin next to Riverside Park.


I spent a few days here. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooporate as it rained most of the time. Thanks in part to the remnants of a tropical storm that came up the coast. As the photo below shows. BIANKA's home made weather station data collection system shows how much rain occurred in one of the 24 hour periods:
Along with the rain came some very strong winds blowing up from the south. It was a rocking and rolling time for a while. So much so that the dock BIANKA was tied to began to break apart. Here was the temporary repair:

I figured it was time to leave and as soon as the weather window opened I shoved off. Heading down the Hudson known to the professionals who ply the waters as the North River. I sailed past the piers  where those floating cities aka cruise ships dock:


I am always amazed how some of the barges and other boats that work the harbor can sneak up on you. In this case I was surprised by the Driftmaster:

 A specialized vessel operated by Army Corp of Engineers that among other things picks up the large pieces of driftwood, poles and docks that create floating hazards in the harbor. With the favoring current it was a quick trip around the battery. One the historical buildings that stands out here is Pier A at the tip of the Battery:



This building has been under going restoration for long time. It remember it being worked on when I first bought BIANKA into the city in 1995 and it still is being worked on here in 2010. I won't say it is a boondoggle but, perhaps a boondockle would be more appropriate. After rounding the battery there was the obligatory sail by the South Street Seaport. To take a look at the Tall Ships docked there:


As well as 158 foot topsail schooner Clipper City:


BIANKA then continued riding the flood current up the East River bound for Hell Gate:



I still love the majestic look of the Hell Gate Railroad bridge:

Soon I sailed out past the Throgs Neck Bridge which marks the end of the East River and the beginning of Long Island Sound. I anchored at the mouth of Little Neck Bay and then sat back to enjoy the view of the bridge and sunset to the west:


Just a very nice way to end the sailing day:

No comments: