Saturday, March 31, 2018

HONDA EU2200i GENERATOR: More Power To You!

My Honda 2000i generator has been a proven versatile workhorse for the past ten years and looks like it will continue to function as such for the foreseeable future.  It was originally bought to be part of my poor man's hybrid system when I converted BIANKA to electric propulsion. It has work well for that and more. It was light weight and easily stored and much more quieter compared  to other generators on the market. Hard to improve on the design. But, Honda has with the new Honda EU2200i model.
The new model   increased the power output by 200 watts.  Which is an impressive 10% improvement in power output. With the same size generator case. In the case of BIANKA this would mean the ability to have a constant 37.5 amps to push my boat along at about 4 knots without draining the battery bank. A nice speed for a 48 pound generator. It would also mean faster charging times when at anchor. Plus there are a few more physical improvements to the generator. Like a bigger oil filler opening and oil drain gutter making oil changes easier and cleaner. There is also a fuel shut off valve so you can run the generator until the carburetor is drained of fuel.  It's very tempting on my part to upgrade to this Honda generator. But,  my frugal side is telling me "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Since my ten year old Honda 2000i is not broke I'm able to resist upgrading to the Honda EU220i. But it's nice to know it will be available to me should I need it on want to.

No comments: