Saturday, June 27, 2009

GOING ELECTRIC PART 14: Before and after batteries

Now that the motor is installed it's time to move on toward the next phase of the electrification project which is installing the batteries. But, first let's take a before and after look at where we are:

Now that's so much better. That's the installed motor in the foreground and lot's of room aft. Of course you can't tell in the photo above but, the area not only looks clean but, smells clean now that the last traces of diesel and oil have been removed. At this point I would have liked to repaint the area a nice white color. But, it is mid June and I have to make a 200 mile trip to Newport Rhode Island starting in about two weeks to attend the Nonsuch Rendezvous. So there is not a lot of time to finish the electrification project, get launched and do some shakedown cruises. So I am skipping the painting. It's really not a critical thing to do and besides most of the area shown will be covered by the battery installation. I've not removed the existing stringers because they are integral part of the hull and removing them I feel would make the area somewhat weaker. But the stringers also prevent me from installing the size batteries I wanted. So I will use the stringers to my advantage along with some other existing items. I decided to build a battery platform on top of them. Here is where I began:
As the above photo shows I first installed a strip of wood that was level with the top of the stringers. This will help support that end of the battery platform. Note: This is secured to the area where the noise foam was previously installed and is one of the reasons why I removed the foam. Also by using a battery platform I am also raising them over the level of the raw water sea cock. Which I am keeping because I may use it as part of a raw water washdown system in the future. Raising the batteries will also keep them dry and easier to access for maintenance.

I next move on the the stringers which need to be prepped before installing the battery platform.
Here I filled the holes and cut outs where the diesel engine brackets were once installed. This was done to seal the grain and strengthen the area.

I then moved on to the platform which was made in two pieces so that I could fit them through the hatches. First I installed some strips of woods to serve as braces on the backside of the platform pieces.
Now that the braces have been installed it's time see how the platform fits.

Not bad. For the battery platform I used scrap pieces of wood I had on hand. The front section is pine the aft section is some marine plywood. Before installing the plywood I put on a couple of coats of West System Epoxy to help seal it. Also notice the cut out at the rear that allows access to the sea raw water sea cock. I am happy with the fit next I will secure the platform.
Posted by Picasa


No comments: